Thursday 23 June 2011

Nailing The Dance

I've got another video of myself up :D



This was at a hafla last Saturday. I had so much fun that night, it was really enjoyable. I danced in 3 dances - with the class, by myself and in a duet. So it was quite busy with costume changes, but that was good, I think. I didn't have time to work myself up and scare myself.

I've performed to this song 3 times now - oh, the song is "Tribute to Um Koulthoum" by Ahmed Bergaoui. It's off one of the bellydance superstars cds. Both other times I haven't really been happy. The first time, I worked myself into such a state of terror that I forgot everything I had thought of to do, and felt like I did the same move over and over. My confidence issues hadn't quite resolved themselves by that time, I think. The 2nd time, I was quite distracted by some noisy audience members, and while I was happier than last time, I still wasn't completely happy with it. This time, I think that I did as well as I can do at this time. I still watch the video and catch lots of things that could be done better or differently, but I don't think I could do them better or differently right now, and that makes all the difference. My confidence must be fully back :) I can accept that there are some things I'm not happy with, but I'm happy with it overall.

I think I smiled much more in this performance than I usually do, and had more of a range of expressions, and managed to express how that piece of music makes me feel. And I'm getting better at the whole audience-interaction thing. My mum was so surprised at my "flirting" with the audience when I showed her the video. She still thinks I'm a terrified 13 year old, I think. Some days I am still that 13 year old who just wants to hide, but evidently I have other days where I shake my bits at my friends in the audience, lol! :D

So, after 3 goes at this song, I think I've nailed it as well as I can right now. Perhaps I'll try again in a couple of years and see how much I improve over that time. Now to find another song to challenge myself with (actually I have a few ideas, but at least one of them will definitely need choreographed!) :D

1 comment:

  1. You seem to be doing a great job working through your stage jitters and focusing on all the great parts of your performance. Keep it up! =)
    love that song too...

    ReplyDelete